This Seitan log is so versatile and can be turned into so many great vegan meatless dishes, (vegan Halifax donair, breakfast vegan bacon, vegan shawarma, Thanksgiving, Christmas or any time of the year roast beef) it is a blank canvas that you season after to your liking and taste buds.
- In a food processor or blender, add the kidney beans, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika, salt, soy sauce, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and Dijon mustard.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add vital wheat gluten to a large bowl.
- Add the pureed smooth bean mixture.
- Work it together.
- Once it has all come together knead it as you would knead a loaf of bread for about 2-5 minutes. (this activates the vital wheat gluten to give it a meatier elastic texture…do not skip)
- If you find the seitan is too wet add a bit more vital wheat gluten.
- Form into a long cylinder or shape you wish your meat replacement to resemble.
- Add water to a large pot with bay leaves and bring to a boil. if you have a steamer then you will most likely only need to use 4 cups of water. place steamer in the pot.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil…
- Wrap your seitan in aluminum foil making sure the seitan is fully covered.
- Now that the water has boiled add the aluminum wrapped seitan and steam or boil it for 30 minutes.
- Once the 30 minutes up remove from the pot and set aside to fully cool.
Slice it how you chose, will freeze for up to 2 months (I suggest cutting it before freezing it.)