2 cup cooked and pureed sweet potato (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
1¼ cups fine bulgur wheat (labeled #1)
1 teaspoon cumin,
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 a teaspoon of ground all spice (Jamaican all spice)
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
- Remove any excess water possible from the sweet potato by using a cheese cloth.
- In a large bowl add all the spices Bulgar, pureed sweet potato flour and olive oil mix together until fully combined.
- Set aside to allow the bulgur to soak up any of the remaining moisture.
Set aside start on the stuffing.
Spinach Chickpea Stuffing
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cups fresh spinach
1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 tomato, diced
1/2 lemon juiced
1 tablespoon of sumac
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oil in a pan. sautee onion until soft. place remaining ingredients and cook for 5 minutes.
- Once finished remove from heat and prepare for layering.
- Coat an oven safe dish with non stick spray.
- Take half the shell and spread evenly in the oven safe dish. then for the second layer add all the spinach chickpea stuffing.
- Use the rest of the shell on top of the spinach chickpea mix.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees until the top starts to turn golden.
- Remove and serve
Optional add pine nuts to spinach mixture.