Tuscan White Bean Soup.. Ribollita.
1/4 Cup light tasting olive oil
1 Large onion chopped
3 Garlic cloves minced
2 Large carrots chopped
2 Celery stalks chopped
1 Teaspoon dry basil
1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Can Italian plum tomatoes (sauce and chop the tomatoes)
2 Fresh tomatoes chopped
6 Cups vegetable broth
2 Cans white beans drained and rinsed
4 Cups coarsely chopped kale
Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove ½ cup of white beans and set aside.
- On the stove over medium heat, add oil to a large pot.
- Once the oil is hot add onion and garlic.
- Sautee until onion is soft.
- Add remaining ingredients (not the ½ cup of beans or kale) and bring to a boil.
- Lower temperature to medium-low and cook until carrots and celery are cooked through.
- Remove 1 cup of liquid (its ok if some veggies make it in.)
- Add 1 cup of liquid and ½ cup white beans to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Add blended bean and soup mix back into the soup and add kale.
- Simmer on low 5 minutes