3 Tablespoons vegan butter (or vegetable ghee)
1 Large onion (cut into chunks of desired size)
2 Bay leaves
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Teaspoon ground allspice (7 spice)
1/2 Teaspoon ground caraway
1/4 Teaspoon white pepper
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Cups moghrabieh or pearl couscous
6 Cups vegetable broth
1 Can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Carrot (grated with a Microplane)
- Heat butter in a medium-large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add the bay leaves, add the ground cinnamon, cinnamon sticks, allspice, ground caraway white pepper, and salt. sautee one minute.
- Add the vegetable broth mograbieh and chickpeas.
- Cook on medium until most the vegetable broth is gone. (make sure you stir often as moghrabieh sticks easily)
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the liquid and mix with cornstarch.
- Stir until no lumps remain.
- Add cornstarch back to the pot.
- Add grated carrots and stir.
- Cook until the liquid is all gone and moghrabieh is tender.